Lead Data ScientistJob ID 6963 Date posted 18/09/2023 City SOUTHAMPTON State HAMPSHIRE Country United Kingdom Job Type Full Time
We recognise the value in having people with a variety of backgrounds, experience, and skills in our business. That means the role requirements here should be seen as a guide, not a checklist. If you have more, less, or different experiences, but really relevant skills, we’d love to hear from you.
We work flexibly and will help you to find a healthy balance of remote working and time in our fantastic Southampton office, collaborating, taking part in events, and getting to know people that makes working with us so rewarding. We welcome the opportunity to discuss reduced hours and job share arrangements.
Insight and Data Science is a central team guiding stakeholders to the right value-driving decisions across all areas of P&O Cruises and Cunard holidays. This includes areas such as ship deployment, entertainment, food & beverage, retail, fuel/ decarbonisation, branding, media and marketing, consumer messaging, customer experience and sales channels. We pride ourselves on proactively understanding the business need with strong stakeholder partnerships, creating compelling outputs and technical expertise to ensure we are building insights and assets with the latest thinking. We value collaboration, innovation and team development. Carnival UK host and sponsor PyData Southampton events and provide access to Data Science specific courses and conferences.
Carnival UK are looking for a Lead Data Scientist to join the Insight and Data Science team to lead a team of talented Data Scientists, specifically focused on setting high technical standards, driving commercial value, developing data science programmes, and influencing stakeholders to maximise business value from data science capability and assets.
- Lead model conception, design and analytic approach to support strategic objectives across different projects whilst establishing collaborative approaches to ways of working with different teams in the business
- Be the lead for the data science delivery on a range of projects from demand prediction, marketing mix modelling and revenue optimisation, empowering the business to leverage data science assets
- Be recognised as an expert data science consultant, who can understand business needs, identify where value lies and translate these into data science projects.
- Be able to create and explain compelling data science outputs and convey complex ideas to non-technical business stakeholders in a way they understand and can realise their value
- Be the expert voice of opinion for Data Science with the Executive leadership team forums on a regular basis
Our role categories range from CUK15 (entry level) to CUK1 (Brand President) so you can clearly see internal development opportunities. This role is a CUK6 and is offered on a full-time permanent basis, with at least two days based in our Southampton office per week.
Fresh ideas and different perspectives are what excite us most and help us to succeed. Alongside bringing these to the role, you’ll also need:
- Master’s Degree in a quantitative discipline such as Operations Research, Applied Statistics, Applied Math, or a related field
- 5+ years’ experience in data science from concept to implementation
- Strong leadership skills, with the technical knowledge to lead Data Scientists delivering several concurrent projects, whilst nurturing their knowledge and career development
- Strong stakeholder management and communication skills, using data science to partner with the business towards commercial success
Being part of our team has its advantages…
We’re a holiday company so we know there’s more to life than work. Our comprehensive range of benefits are designed to help your personal and financial health and wellbeing
- A friendly welcome with help settling in
- Home and office-based hybrid working (minimum two office days)
- Regular office events including live entertainment, lifestyle events and charity partner fundraisers
- Extensive learning and development opportunities
- Annual bonus
- Minimum 25 days leave, bank holiday allowance and holiday trading scheme
- Employee-led networks
- Employee Assistance and Wellbeing programmes
- Recognition scheme with prizes and awards
- Employee Discounted Cruising plus Friends and Family offers
- Contributory Defined Contribution Pension scheme
- Company paid private medical and dental insurance and health assessment
- In-house Occupational Health help and access to digital GP
- Life Assurance
- Parental and adoption leave
- Employee Shares Plan
- Electric Car and Cycle to Work schemes
- Onsite restaurant offering range of healthy cooked and grab and go meals
- Discounted retail and leisure via discounts portal
Please note: Being able to create unforgettable holiday happiness is a brilliant opportunity so we often receive high volumes of applications for our roles. In these cases, we may close our job adverts early and aren’t able to consider applications once this happens.
#Job Functions: Research; Strategy / Planning; Finance